1.08.2012

favorites of 2011.

If you know this guy, then it's a spoiler alert for my album of year.

So it's a little past that time of year where everyone (and their mother) put out their "best of 2011" lists. Well in true fashion... I'm late to that game.

Let me just say, I recognize that my taste is sort of all over the place and that at the end of the day I'm just another internet music fiend with an opinion. So to clarify, I'd like to call this list my "Favorites of 2011" and not the, "Best of 2011."

I'll leave the "best of" lists to everyone else. This list merely hits the highlights of albums that I listened to in excess, found surprisingly awesome, and still can't get enough of.

I'm going to post a playlist of favorite songs, later this week so stay tuned...
 



The Antlers - Burst Apart 

Hands down my favorite album this year. If you haven't listened to them, give these boys a go. They are superbly talented, and while they're not everyone's cup of tea --- you can't deny that the lead singer has a mean set of pipes. Put it on when you're driving home on a rainy day, or lying in bed listening to the rain, or really any old time that you need some mellow music.

Favorite Tracks: 
"I Don't Want Love" --- Here's a video live from ACL this past fall. Go fall in love with them. 

The Black Keys - El Camino

This is a close second, album wise. I love these boys, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on this record. It didn't disappoint. They sold me with their initial video for "Lonely Boy." (I want to dance like that man) Although it's different from their older music, and I do miss that it doesn't have any slower songs, I still think this is a great addition to their catalog. It's a straight up toe tapper. The pace is great, it's fun, and they have a hell of a lot of talent. I really appreciate that they're trying to bring rock back, in their own way.

Favorite Tracks: 

Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes


I used to have this sort of ridiculous hang up, where I really didn't care for girls in bands. Much less a girl singing. (The rare exception being Britney Spears and/or the Spice Girls. Yeah, I said it.) That is sort of gone now, and I have to say I'm glad. Lykke Li has had me since day one. There's no other way to say it, but she kills it with this album. It's got a perfect mixture of fun dance/electronic songs, and slower, soulful ballads. She's also really amazing live. So that makes her even better in my book. 

Favorite Tracks:
 
Beirut - The Rip Tide
 
All I can say is, "be still my heart." Zach Condon is at it again. I've been a big Beirut fan for awhile, but this has to be my favorite record yet. They have such a unique sound, and this highlights it perfectly. It totally takes me to a french patio somewhere, with twinkling lights, and a warm breeze, and wine and cheese. Which is amazing. I want to go to that place. Who's with me? I don't know how to give them a better endorsement than that.

Favorite Tracks: 
"Goshen

Cults - Cults

It feels a little odd for Cults to be on my 2011 list. It's likely because I'd been anxiously awaiting this album from the moment I heard their EP in 2010, so I still associate it with that. They definitely delivered what I was looking for though in a full length.  They incorporate all of my favorite things from 60s pop and Motown, but with a modern edge. Another crucial album for warm sunny days, and backyard barbeques, or just a nice drive with the windows down. And there's a girl! Oh my! 

Favorite Tracks:


M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming.

This one caught me by surprise. I liked M83's last album, but I wasn't dying over it. Not to say that I'm having a Rachel Zoe moment over Hurry Up, We're Dreaming. but I was surprised by how taken I was with this double disc sweeping album. I really can sit and listen to it for hours and sort of get lost in it. It's become a mainstay for calm, but energized and awesome work music. I find something new that I like every time I listen to it, too. I like an album that can keep me on my toes. 

Favorite Tracks: 
"Intro

Cut Copy - Zonoscope



I wanted to dance. Cut Copy heard me, and they delivered. I needed an album and a show this year that took me back to  shows/albums of the last few years like Phoenix, Chromeo, and Hot Chip. This was that album/band for me this year. I still can't get enough of Zonoscope, and know it will continue to be a house party mainstay for quite awhile. It's great cooking and cleaning music. Yes, I've been known to dance with a spatula in hand...

Favorite Tracks: 
"Hanging Onto Every Heartbeat" 


Bon Iver - Bon Iver 

I'm definitely not new to the Bon Iver band wagon, and this album definitely ranks up there with my "highly anticipated" albums of this year. Overall, it lived up to the hype I'd set for it. It fulfills what I want from it, to be an album that I'm not afraid to listen to when I'm mopey or in a bad mood. It's my wallow music. There's still that splash of romanticism that I love about it though. The only reason this album isn't ranked higher? The final track "Beth/Rest" --- I can't get down with the Kenny G'esqueness of that song. It kind of kills the mood of the whole album for me. I really do love most of these track though, so I can't let the final note kill it for me.

Favorite Tracks: 
"Calgary

Real Estate - Days 



Real Estate gets the award for my 2011 discovery. I'd sort of listened to them previously, but fell in love with this album. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but it just really helps me get through my commutes and my work day. There's that touch of laid back beach music, and an aire of easier times. Maybe that's it? It just has a very low key and easy going vibe that I can't get enough of.

Favorite Tracks:
"Easy

Youth Lagoon - The Year of Hibernation

Youth Lagoon should really take my best new artist category... I hadn't heard the album until towards the end of the year, and well, I can't get enough of it. I don't know much about Youth Lagoon, just that I really like what I hear, and I can't wait for more. His sound is just ethereal. It sort of sounds like a wonky lullaby at times. The album art sort of perfectly represents what I think the album sounds like. I can't really tell you why I like this album, just that you should probably give it a listen. It's become my new album for lying in bed, reading a magazine, and snuggling with the cat.

Favorite Tracks: 
"July"


Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost


 
Last but certainly not least. Girls had me from my first listen of this album. In fact I remember sitting and listening to this and Beirut on repeat in a coffee shop in Austin, for an entire day. I just found this album such a surprising follow up to their last album. It just captures the grit and awesomeness of a classic rock band like Led Zeppelin, but with their unique modern twist. Then there's what I expect from Girls, which is a raw and dirty version of a 60s beachy pop song. They aren't ripping off classic bands, merely taking inspiration and making it their own. I really think they nailed it with this album.

Favorite Tracks: 
"My Ma


No comments:

Post a Comment